My attention was drawn to the dramatic influence of magnesium deficiency a few years back. My brother in law developed disabling lower back pain. In fact, he was bed ridden for 3 months. He visited many different medical institutes, some of the best in the world. All the physicians told him that he would need spinal surgery. He is a very stubborn man, it turns out it saved him a lot of pain.
We started doing a natural therapy called DAWN on his back. This relieved some of the pain and he was able to move around a bit. He was still on a lot of pain meds. So much meds that the doctor would not prescribe any more for him, fearing for his liver and kidney function. Then one day he asked me to pick up some Magnesium spray for him. I thought it strange and asked him why. Well he said he Googled it and that magnesium deficiency may be causing his pain. 5 Days later he was pain free and stopped taking the pain medication. It is 7 years later now and he has not been to a doctor since, never mind a surgeon.
Was it a miracle? Let put it this way, I believe in God, anything is possible. I also came to believe in the power of Google and learnt an important lesson. One should be careful before you trust doctors. I do not believe that they are just in it for the money. I think they have been trained in a specific way and many doctors are closed minded to anything other than that which they know. Did you know that most doctor do not study even one nutrition course? This experience opened my mind and I am glad for it.
Dosage for Magnesium:
RDA 350mg - TDA 1000mg
The ideal is to take 6mg per 2.2lbs body weight. The maximum intake should not exceed 12mg per 2.2lbs body weight per day.
Magnesium Deficiency: List of Causes
If you live in an area with a lot of rain and get most of your food, grow in that area you are likely to have a magnesium deficiency. Magnesium is washed out of the soil. It is extremely common, yet easy to fix. The people most likely to be suffering from magnesium deficiency are the elderly and premenstrual women. Other major causes of deficiency include high calcium intake, surgery, alcohol, diuretics, liver disease, kidney disease and oral contraceptives. Digitalis, insulin taken by diabetics, antibiotics, diuretics and hyperthyroidism all tend to cause the body to lose magnesium
Magnesium Deficiency Symptoms:
Without adequate magnesium, both calcium and magnesium leave the body. This causes the following symptoms:
- Mental confusion and brain fog
- Muscle cramps
- Nervous irritability
- Epileptic seizures
- Premature wrinkles
- Damaged protein metabolism
- Nerve sensitivity and pain
Understanding the function of Magnesium in the Human Body
- Magnesium is second only to potassium in its concentration within cells.
- Nerve damage causes pain and magnesium is needed to repair the nerves.
- Magnesium is crucial to many functions, including energy production, protein formation and cellular replication.
- It participates I more than 300 enzyme reactions in the body.
- It also operates as a catalyst in many functions involving energy and that includes the production of the very crucial ATP.
- In addition, it is utilized to enhance the function of vitamin B, E, Calcium, fats and other minerals.
- Magnesium is essential for the heart, muscle tone, and bones.
- It regulates the acid alkaline PH balance in the body
- The production of lecithin is aided by magnesium
- Magnesium is a natural tranquilizer
- It is required for the activation of the sodium and potassium pump that removes sodium from cells and puts potassium into them.
- Without magnesium potassium leaves the cells an sodium enters them which is the basis of a cancer cell
- Magnesium regulates calcium metabolism and is crucial for body health
The Best Magnesium Rich Foods
The richest food sources includes kelp, wheat germ, almonds, cashews, blackstrap molasses, brewer’s yeast, Brazil nuts, peanuts, millet, pecans, walnuts, soybeans, raw cooked green leafy vegetables, whole grains figs, apples, lemons, peaches, apricots, brown rice, collard leaves. The best magnesium supplementary source is magnesium chloride but other forms can be used.
The power of an Epsom salts Bath
If you are in pain or not sure if you are magnesium deficient or not take an Epsom salt bath. Two cups and if you have a few drops of lavender essential oil. Your skin will absorb magnesium and you will feel toxins leave your body. After all this is the basis for all that really expensive bath salts. I do this at least three times a week. Could not live without it. I speak to many people about health issues every day and this is by far the advice I get the most feedback on.